Director of Purchasing
Posted on: January 15, 2022
The Director of Purchasing oversees and personally executes the
purchase of all direct and indirect materials for U.S.
manufacturing operations including warehouse consumables,
MRO/office supplies, services and capital purchases for U.S.
Operations. Direct and manage a staff of Purchasing personnel
including Purchasing Agent(s), and Buyer(s).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Purchases raw materials, packaging, plant and warehouse
consumables, MRO, office supplies and services for all U.S.
- Benchmarks U.S. cost of corrugate by reference to outside
sources, such as RISI and monitors and tracks the significant raw
materials that impact the market price for corrugate.
- Provides the lowest possible cost of materials by developing
multiple sources and monitoring and tracking prices on a regular
- Implements a formal Supplier Qualification Program and Supplier
Performance Rating system.
- Establishes a formal process of review for all supplier
proposed price increases.
Best Practice Implementation
- Actively utilizes tools such as reverse on-line auctions and
external resources to benchmark pricing and optimizes internal
material and product cost structure(s).
- Provides guidance to Purchasing personnel in Europe and China.
Promotes the development and sharing of best practices that can be
used in all parts of the Company.
- Develops programs to benchmark costs among all facilities and
all companies and leverages purchases by combining worldwide
- Analyzes purchases on a regular basis with the objective of
leveraging our purchases to reduce costs.
- Supports negotiation for major purchases, purchase contracts or
purchase agreements for raw materials, capital equipment, services,
supplies and consumables.
- Keeps Executive Management informed, as requested, regarding
market conditions, lead times, and shifts in pricing for materials
- Communicates with other departments, e.g . Marketing,
Engineering, Operations, and suppliers (internal and external) to
improve procurement activities and reduce costs.
- Promotes performance excellence and professionalism within
Sabert's purchasing function.
- Develops and maintains a high level of contact with key
suppliers and service personnel.
- Designs and recommends professional training programs aimed at
elevating employee techniques and managerial skills.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong and aggressive negotiation skills
- Good management skills
- Strong supplier evaluation skills and Supplier Relationship
Management skills (SRM)
- Excellent in Internet and industry research.
- Strong in Internet procurement, i.e. auctions, reverse
- Experience using SAP
- Plastic industry experience preferred
- Six Sigma experience would be a real plus
- Willing to travel up to 50% of time; 25% usual travel
- Bachelor's degree in business, engineering or scientific field.
MBA or executive training courses/programs are a plus.
- Formal training in Supply Chain and/or Procurement best
practices is desired.
- Management experience supervising Purchasing staff of Buyers
and/or Procurement Associates of 7 - 10 years.
- Multi-location Purchasing responsibilities.
- Broad Purchasing experience, including raw materials (plastics
preferred), MRO, commodities, services, capital equipment,
- International supplier management and purchasing experience a
- Work in accordance with all company policies and procedures
regarding employment, safety, quality, product safety and legality,
security, and regulatory compliance as applicable.
Pay, benefits and more.
Sabert is eager to attract the best, so we offer competitive
compensation and a generous benefits package, including full health
insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401(k), life insurance,
disability and more.
We are a leading global manufacturer of innovative food packaging
products and solutions. Our company was founded in 1983 on a single
mission: to enhance and advance the way people enjoy food . Today
we design, manufacture and distribute a wide spectrum of packaging
solutions for food distributors, restaurants & caterers, grocery
stores, national food chains and consumer entertaining.
Keywords: Sabert, Sayreville , Director of Purchasing, Executive , Sayreville, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!